Help us improving communication in several languages: Become a Volunteer translators for housing rights without frontiers!
Skip to main content
» Zero Evictions Campaign
» Petition: Say 'No' to evictions without housing!
To the Government of Cameroon:
We, the signatories of this petition emphatically demand:
1. An immediate stop to all demolitions and evictions throughout the national territory without guarantee of rehousing to all those concerned. In its preamble, the Constitution of the Republic of Cameroon stipulates: “Ownership shall mean the right guaranteed to every person by law to use, enjoy and dispose of property. No person shall be deprived thereof, save for public purposes and subject to the payment of compensation under conditions determined by law”;
2. That international commitments made by the government of the Republic of Cameroon be respected. Cameroon is a signatory to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, ratified on June 27, 1984 and in which, under Article 11, sub-paragraph 1, it is stipulated: “The States Parties to the present Covenant recognize the right of everyone to an adequate standard of living for himself and his family, including adequate food, clothing and housing, and to the continuous improvement of living conditions...”;
3. The effective enforcement of national housing policies. Legal protection against evictions is a measure incorporated into the national housing policies, most of the articles of which are currently in effect. However, the principal measures outlined therein are not always respected when demolitions are undertaken;
4. The creation of measures aimed at lowering social housing prices for households that are victims of evictions;
In Cameroon, prices of formal housing built under government programs are quite high, making them inaccessible to low-income households. A number of solutions can be undertaken to facilitate the integration of evicted parties into these programs, such as:
5. Providing alternative solutions which will guarantee the right to housing.
Key players in social housing are currently working out alternative solutions to the social housing crisis by: