One of the De-roofed buildings in Njemanze Street, Port Harcourt
This Report is given based on follow-up activity by the National Union of Tenants of Nigeria, which includes visits to the area and interviews with the affected persons. The Report will be update to include the living conditions of the affected and suggestions on how they could be assisted to alleviate their plights and prevent a reoccurrence.
Photo-Report on Njemanze Street demolition (6-7 November 2009)
by: National Union of Tenants of Nigeria
The destruction of Njemanze Street that lasted till Saturday 7th November 2009, razed down several buildings, including living houses, commercial premises and religious places, which provided accommodation to over 15,000 users notably residential tenants, business owners and church worshippers.
While the River State Governor seems to have engaged a final battle to destroy Njemanze and Abonnema Wharf waterfronts despite the Federal High Court of Nigeria made an Order restraining him from carrying out any demolition in the waterfronts, UN-Habitat has spread the Report on the fact-finding mission to Port Harcourt (12-16 March 2009). No formal comments were received from the Rivers State Government, but our sources confirm that they had received the Report and was aware of UN-HABITAT's assessment of the evictions in Port Harcourt.
Port Harcourt Waterfront looking north over Aggrey Estate towards the State Secretariat
A new report from urban development specialists at the Max Lock Centre (University of Westminster) gives further reason for concern over Rivers State's plan for sweeping demolitions of slum housing.
The scale of the issue- up to 500,000 could be displaced by Port Harcourt demolitions - and its potential impact – remains obvious. If well developed, ideas from the report could support a renewal of southern Port Harcourt that would greatly exceed expectations and provide a much needed economic and social boost.
The Nigerian government must set up an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the use of firearms by security forces that left at least one person dead and 12 seriously injured at Bundu waterfront last year, Amnesty International said in a report.
Nigeria: Over 200,000 people at risk of losing their homesThe Nigerian authorities must suspend a series of planned demolitions and evictions in waterfront areas of Port Harcourt that will leave over 200,000 people at risk of homelessness Amnesty International said in a report released today.