We, men and women who inhabit urban areas, are in Medellin, Colombia for the People’s Alternative Urban Social Forum taking place from 6 to 9 April 2014. More than 2,500 people are taking part in the Forum, representing social, community and political organizations as well as trade unions from every region of Colombia and from 30 countries around the world. The Forum’s objectives were met thanks to the direct and diverse participation of those involved. We discussed both the present state of cities and their future; we shared our experiences of resistance; and we agreed on joint actions of cooperation and struggle.
On Wednesday 9 April, the Alternative People's Urban Social Forum came to a successful close in Medellín, after a broad social and political movement came together to organise the event. The day ended with the International Tribunal on Evictions and the prize for Innovative Solutions for People's Housing in the Humboldt room of the Jardín Botánico.
You will now see some highlights of the Alternative People's Urban Social Forum (Medellín, April 2014). Next global steps to be taken: World Zero Evictions Days - for the Right to Housing, in October, at the World Assembly of Inhabitants (WSF, Tunis 2015) and the popular alternative to the UN Summit Habitat III (2016).
- People’s Alternative Urban Social Forum 2014 Installation (FSUAP Medellín, 06/04/14)
- III INTERNATIONAL GATHERING OF THOSE AFFECTED BY THE FINANCIAL AND MORTGAGE SYSTEMS (FSUAP Medellín, 06/04/14)
- WITNESS-IAI WORKSHOP: VIDEO AGAINST FORCED EVICTIONS (FSUAP Medellín, 07/04/14)
- H&P-IAI WORKSHOP: WORLD MAP OF URBAN SOCIAL MOVEMENTS (FSUAP Medellín, 07/04/14)
- MOBILIZATION – CARNIVAL (FSUAP Medellín, 08/04/14)
- AWARD FOR ‘INNOVATIVE PEOPLE-LED HOUSING SOLUTIONS’ (FSUAP Medellín, 09/04/14)
- CONTEXTOS Y ALTERNATIVAS URBANO-POPULARES EN AMÉRICA LATINA (FSUAP Medellín 4/2014)
Medellín is one of the most unequal cities in Latin America.
It is in this city, location of the VII World Urban Forum held by UN-Habitat, that a large number of local, national and international organizations have agreed to hold the People's Alternative URBAN SOCIAL FORUM from 6 to 9 April 2014.
International networks and inhabitants organisations that contribute actively to the process of the World Assembly of Inhabitants (WAI), together with Colombian social organisations, have decided to initiate a united call for participation in the 3rd People's Alternative Urban Social Forum (PAUSF) at the UN-Habitat World Urban Forum (WUF - Medellin, 5-11 April 2014) .
AITEC’s declaration for the WUF 7 in Medellin proposes a new agenda to be discussed by international networks of urban social movements, and particularly those united in the World Assembly of Inhabitants, to mobilize to prepare Habitat III for 2016 on the basis of their platforms.
- La AIH en el Foro alternativo llama la atención sobre desalojos de viviendas en el mundo
- ¿Ciudades para la vida? o ¿para el mercado? Medellín. A propósito del Foro Urbano Mundial
- Panorama de la ciudad Colombiana. Carlos Torres
- Panorama de la ciudad Latinoamericana, Gustavo Durán
- Crisis de la ciudad contemporánea. Melquisedec Blandón
- Ciudad, planificación urbana, derechos en las ciudades y el derecho a la ciudad. Miguel Robles